Topic: Re: The Prime Directive
Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 1, 2012 1:27 AM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: The Prime Directive

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Haim <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:
> Robert Hansen Posted: Sep 29, 2012 6:54 PM
>

>>Looking at this school's math and physics curriculum...
>>http://www.ossm.edu/academics/course-descriptions/#javelin_faq177_9
>>
>>Would it be that difficult a task to find have just ONE
>>knowledgable teacher in most schools that could offer a
>>similar curriculum to the advanced 11th and 12th
>>graders? Even if the class size is only 5 or 10 students.

> If you are going to be persuaded by the facts, the answer is clearly "yes".

The answer is clearly "no" since you guys clearly did not actually
look at that list of math courses in that specialized high school at
which Dave taught, or you have no idea of what the content of these
courses actually is. Here it is again:

Multivariate Calculus
Differential Equations
Number Theory
Probability and Statistics
Linear Algebra
Abstract Algebra
Geometries
Topology
Real Analysis
Foundations of Mathematics
Special Advanced Problems

At a typical college these course are typically listed as upper
division post-calculus courses (including this Probability and
Statistics course, which is clearly calculus-based since the theory of
probability and statistics is calculus-based and the page says the
course is a theory-based one), meaning that one is expected to
complete the lower division courses of Calculus I, II, III sequence
before taking these courses. Some combination of these courses above
make up part of a post-calculus core of a typical math major in US
colleges.

For you to think that most high schools can do this *post-calculus*
stuff is insane. There is not one country on the planet that has most
high schools teach this stuff which is to be studied *after* calculus.