Topic: Re: The Prime Directive
Replies: 2   Last Post: Oct 1, 2012 1:29 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: The Prime Directive

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 11:32 PM, Haim <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:
> Robert Hansen Posted: Sep 30, 2012 10:59 PM
>

>>Looking at the AMC results over the last decade, a lot
>>of countries are doing something different. You don't
>>ace these tests without at least a couple of semesters
>>of advanced math. And this report from Harvard last year
>>paints a drab picture...
>>
>>http://www.aip.org/fyi/2011/016.html

> It is a measure of the collapse of education in the U.S. that educators cannot even understand how well they are really doing. Tanner proved it.

No, it is the other way around. You refuse to accept the facts, and you are hoping that people do not look beneath the surface to see what the truth really is, which includes the following set of facts that shows that not only is there no collapse of public education in the US, we have very much the opposite:

Fact: When we correct for demographics, we see that US white students score as well or better on international tests like TIMSS and PISA than the white students of just about every other country on the planet, US black students score as well or better on international tests like TIMSS and PISA than the black students of just about every other country on the planet, and so on. The reason the overall scores are not as high on these tests as they could be in comparison to some other countries is because in all countries, the scores by each segment of non East-Asian non-white students are significantly lower and because the percentage of the US student population of this much lower scoring overall population segment is much higher than it is in those countries that have overall higher scores than the US.

Fact: Because of the success of advanced math education in the US public school system, the US now has roughly 5% of its entire high school senior aged population (and this includes all those not in school or in vocational schools or whatever) take *and* pass a national calculus exam covering an entire year of high school calculus. Very few countries on the entire planet - regardless of the ethnic demographic of the country's student population - could say that they have an advanced math education system that yields this high a percentage of the its entire high school senior aged population that could take *and* pass a national calculus exam covering an entire year of high school calculus. And when we look at only those US high school students that actually completed calculus classes that actually were certified by the AP Calculus testing body to follow the AP Calculus guidelines, we see these students scoring very much higher on advanced international tests than those advanced students of all other
countries taking the tests.

Note: In roughly 30 years, this percentage of the entire high school senior aged population of the US that has taken *and* passed a national calculus exam has increased from roughly half a percent to the present roughly five percent, an entire order of magnitude increase.

Here is a post I gave recently outlining some of all these facts above - - this post contains many citations and links to these citations:

"Re: Discussion: Do US Math Teachers Suck?"

We need to look beneath the surface to be fair, to see what is really happening in the US, to see that, again, the US pubic school system in some measurable ways is doing as well or better than just about any other country in the world not only for its whole population but for its advanced students. (This does not mean of course that the system could not do even better, even a lot better.)