Topic: An Algebra 2 Test
Replies: 44   Last Post: Oct 10, 2012 2:42 AM

kirby urner

Re: An Algebra 2 Test

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu> wrote:

> At 08:34 AM 9/29/2012, Robert Hansen wrote:
>

>> I think we have to be careful when using the phrase "hidden trick". I know what you mean, but my bar is a bit higher. To me the "trick" must be very unique to be called "hidden". In the case of Dave's problem, all the student needs to be aware of is that relationships do not have to be explicitly spelled out with the variables, they may be implicit in the constants as well.
>

> My concern with Dave's problem (and his expressly as well) is that someone can know Algebra 2 well and still miss the trick unless a hint is given. Our statewide Entry-Level Mathematics has shown that simplifying a single "rigged" to be simple but compound rational function (numerator and denominator each consisting of sums/differences of rational functions) correlate so well with future success in anything needing algebra that it could be a one item test. Success with such a problem, however, does not mean that student would spot this problem as trivial.

I think it's a "trick" if you're taken by surprise by the answer,
which likely means something about the context you're in.

What's missing from any single problem is more context. If we've been
hashing through (a + b)(a - b) as a pattern, a common topic in algebra
books, and if we're familiar with this style of problem, to reward
understanding of common patterns, then yes, we stand a better chance
of not hating the problem and not hating the test makers (the ones who
make us take them).

What's disappointing is when there's no context, or not much. There's
"school" but it's not a safe place, and the kids are distracted,
aren't being left to learn, have to get out there and make a way for
themselves, mom and dad already crushed by the system or whatever. No
time to noodle these symbols around if they're not gonna promise you a
meal plan, or shelter. No time to jump through all these hoops, learn
all these tricks, with gratification "to be delayed" for any number of
years. That all assumes "a protected childhood", a neo-Victorian
invention to some degree.

That level of economic insecurity (no "safety net") sounds "3rd world"
(a misnomer for "non-aligned") but is the reality in much of North
America for many school aged. "Math" (so called, the pre-STEM
version) is for the privileged with the leisure time to do
uncompensated school work without experiencing overwhelming
opportunity costs.

That opportunity for safe study is not provided to everyone equally,
lets be clear. Not all environments are created equal, when it comes
to safe niches for "curling up with a good book, and a cup of Folgers
[tm]". And lets not immediately jump to "race" as a reflex, thinking
inequality is so simple minded. If you want to be fair, consider
yourself a walking victim of the poor society you live in. You're
only half as smart as you could have been, only half as informed.
Much was denied you, no matter who you are, because you've lived in a
dark age. Hard to admit that about oneself. We all like to think we
turned out OK.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
9/28/12