Replies: 130   Last Post: Oct 19, 2012 10:23 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

OK, I should have added something like "k12" or "public school" in the
title in order to make the intent more clear as to which teachers the
cited studies are talking about in an international comparison between
such teachers as to how many teaching hours they are forced to have
under their contracts and how well they are paid, especially per
teaching hour.

That is, by such studies the US teachers in question are getting the
shaft big-time in comparison to almost all of the other countries'
teachers in question on this last point, especially compared to the
Japanese teachers in question.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Paul A. Tanner III <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>> US teachers are overworked and underpaid. Here is some proof:
>>
>> "Teacher Pay Around the World"
>> http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/teacher-pay-around-the-world/
>>

> A lot of criteria front load the discussion, by narrowing "teacher" to
> exclude (not count) peer teachers on Youtube, corporate trainers,
> military trainers, all manner of apprenticeship, and of course with a
> lens tightly focused on K-12, biased towards NEA members or whatever.
>
> I'd like to remind the adults in those buildings that they have no
> monopoly over that word ("teacher"). I too am a teacher, paid to
> teach, with students, and yet I am likely not included in these
> statistical studies, because of the narrowing that's gone on in making
> the results.
>
> Which is why I think it's OK to tune out a lot of these
> salary-and-benefit-minded threads; they're not about teaching and
> learning, but about their specific economic circumstances in a
> particular civilization, a kind of dumb one, but one that loves to
> talk about itself.
>
> If we take a more STEM point of view, lets realize that much may
> change on the ground, in terms of what a "school" is, and there's no
> reason to assume the status quo has much staying power. It may, but
> lets not just assume yakking about NEA business is the talk of the
> town. DC maybe, but that's just another city with pretensions to
> imperial power (a concentration of severely deluded individuals if you
> ask me).
>
> Kirby

Date Subject Author
Paul A. Tanner III