Replies: 130   Last Post: Oct 19, 2012 10:23 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Like I said, everywhere I've worked has had me working at about 30
>> hours per week actually in the classroom out of about 37.5 hours per
>> week under contracted time, which is the time I had to be physically
>> on campus. For these countries I cited Japan, Korea, Finland, and
>> France,it's roughly only half that.
>>

> Roughly half the teaching hours or time on campus? Our speech and
> debate coach, also an IB English teacher, clocks hours after the
> school has closed to classes, but remains open to "extra-curricular",
> which includes probably the most important civics content.

It's teaching hours, time spent in front of the students under the normal contracted hours. Again: It's only about 620 hours per year in France, about 600 and 600 for Japan and Finland, and about 550 for Korea. For the US it's about 1100.

Again: Do the math based on what I told you. For US teachers it's 6 hours per day 5 days per week, meaning 30 hours per week 36 weeks or for 180 days for a total of 1080 hours per year.

It's essentially half that for these countries above.

>> Again: I read that teachers in Japan have it like teachers of
>> community colleges in the US. About 15 hours per week or so of being
>> in front of a classroom (vs. 30 for the US teachers), but with
>> different says of the week having different teaching loads, where they
>> have much, much more on-campus time in the week than US teachers for
>> planning and collaborating with other teachers.
>>

> Yeah, US teachers don't collaborate. They barely know what's going on
> around them.

By the authority of personal experience, I can tell you that their just is no time for it.

Again: Do the math.

Better yet: Get a public school teaching job to see what's it's like to be a sardine stuffed in a can in terms of time during contracted hours for anything other than being in front of a class.

Lunch time is when you can collaborate or whatever? Forget it! You have only a half hour after the bell rings to RUSH to the place where you eat, WOLF down your food as fast as you can, and then RUSH back to your classroom to get there before the bell rings for the next class you have to teach.

Do all this to those teachers in high-scoring countries like Japan, Korea, Finland, and France and watch the international scores of their students collapse.

Date Subject Author
Paul A. Tanner III
Robert Hansen
Paul A. Tanner III