Topic: Re: The Prime Directive
Replies: 11   Last Post: Oct 3, 2012 12:30 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: The Prime Directive

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2012, at 6:46 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> They - and everyone who says what they say like you - need to explain
> how having 5% of the entire high school senior aged population taking
> *and* passing a national AP Calculus exam is not a large enough pool
> right then and there to be "competitive" with all these other
> countries they/you claim we are not competitive with when these other
> countries all or almost all cannot match this 5%.
>

> Because they are not competitive, that is why we have H1 visas.

Utter BS. You are not addressing what I write - you are not addressing
the facts, including why so many of these people people who take *and*
pass AP Calculus exams and SO many others who could major in STEM
majors CHOOSE to not major in STEM majors in spite of the fact that
they could if they wanted to:

"Re: The Prime Directive"

Let's be clear: As someone who has a STEM degree, if I had it to do
all over again, I would not major in a STEM major to do such as work
for you even if I was one of these who took and passed an AP Calculus
exam. Why? Money, money, money. To quote myself in my post above:

"These majors that promise better chances for better pay include those
many majors offered by business schools such as areas of finance as
well as management training such that they can end up being in
management positions being the bosses of those who were STEM majors,
as well as many other such majors like advertising and such. Smart
kids are smart enough to pay attention to where the money is. Look at
those like Mitt Romney and their many millions vs. some typical grunt
slaving away at moderate wages in some cubicle writing programs, a
mere cog in a machine."

Not to mention all those other areas with more promise of more money
than a STEM job, areas such as law or medicine.