Topic: Re: The Prime Directive
Replies: 11   Last Post: Oct 3, 2012 12:30 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: The Prime Directive

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Oct 2, 2012, at 7:40 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's not relevant to the question, which is whether the US is
> graduating enough people each year trained in math well enough to
> major in a STEM major.
>

> Major? Or find gainful employment?

Stick to the issue.

You talked about scores of 13 year old and 15 year old kids on general math tests as if it's relevant to whether the US is graduating enough people OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL each year trained in math well enough to major in a STEM major if they CHOOSE to.

I proved that those scores are not relevant by proving that there are more than enough - 5% of the entire high school senior aged population taking *and* passing a national AP Calculus exam, more than 200,000 people per year. And that's just the tip of a very large iceberg each and every year.

Since STEM college graduates have lower unemployment rates than other collage graduates, the "problem" according to these studies is not a bunch of STEM college graduate who have lousy skills and therefore are not employable but too few who get STEM degrees in the first place.

But that is not because of the lie that there are not enough who come out of high school capable of majoring in STEM fields, since I proved it to be a lie so many times, in this thread and in other threads.

The real problem is this: People who wrongly claim this lie just refuse to admit that it has to do with what people CHOOSE to major in. It just happen be the case that very many who could major in a STEM field CHOOSE to not do so. I explained why so many times, in this thread and in other threads.