Topic: 136 theorems on 29 pages
Replies: 20   Last Post: Nov 19, 2012 4:55 PM

clicliclic@freenet.de

Re: 136 theorems on 29 pages

Waldek Hebisch schrieb:

> clicliclic@freenet.de wrote:

> > And citing inaccessible theses and
> > internal reports can be more frustrating than helpful to a reader
> > (as well as dangerous to an author who never saw them).

> Just a quck comment: IME theses tend to be freely publically avaliable
> and frequently give more detailed exposition than journal papers,
> so actually can be _more_ helpful than other puplications (which
> frequently are harder to obtain).
>
> AFAICS Rotstein thesis is available at:
>
> www.cs.kent.edu/~rothstei/dis.pdf
>
> (second Google hit for Rotstein "Aspects of symbolic").
> Bronstein thesis was published in Journal of Symbolic Computation.
> In the past access was restricted, but it seems that now
> anybody can go to
>
> http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/07477171/9/2
>
> (Issue 2 of Volume 9) and choose second article.
>
> It seems that in Trager case some amout of Googling should
> produce downloadable copy.

Expecting it to be the most promising, I have checked Bronstein's thesis
publication of 1990 (57 pages, 2.4MB, barely readable digitization). I
can assure our author that this contains no "prior art" concerning an
extension of Hermite reduction (p. 132) to multiple non-integer
exponents or to a lowering of exponents: the equations agree with those
in the Symbolic Integration Tutorial of 1998/2000 and fail for multiple
non-integer exponents because the integrated term is again too
restricted. So only Goursat (1902, p. 238-241) and Hebisch (2012,
unpublished) remain.

Martin.