Topic: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Replies: 22   Last Post: Oct 9, 2012 6:06 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
att1.html (7.7 K)

The curriculum represented by authors like Dolciani, Lawson and Forrester is what I have been calling the golden age of high school algebra. Books like the one I reviewed by Shute have their place, the writing is certainly better, but I think the mix of topics and problems in the above mentioned books are better. So do some of the asian countries that favor mathematics because those are the books they use. That curriculum was defined in the 60's, not recently. Today we call classes that use those books "Honors Algebra", a phrase that wasn't in wide use till recently...

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=Honors+Algebra&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=0&smoothing=3

A phrase that is even more recent is "Exit Exam"...

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=Exit+Exam&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=0&smoothing=3

Bob Hansen

On Oct 8, 2012, at 7:46 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2012, at 5:06 AM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Because you are tacitly claiming the utter insanity that those who
>> never took Algebra I or Geometry 40 years ago would have been able to
>> pass the Algebra I and Geometry exit exams today without ever having
>> studied these subjects - you are tacitly claiming the insanity that
>> people who never study a subject would be able to pass comprehensive
>> tests on that subject without ever studying it.

> Where did I claim this? Why would I claim that students never taking algebra would pass algebra exams?
>

> Regarding textbooks, I point you to probably the most popular series of the 60's and 70's, Dolciani, which includes your list of topics. Larson is good also and his series started in the 80's.
>

>> Again: There is absolutely no comparison between the topics covered in
>> that Algebra 2 textbook in early 1970s in my old high school and that
>> Harcourt Brace Jovanovich 1980s Algebra 2 textbook and the topics
>> covered in, say, "Algebra 2: Applications, Equations, Graphs"; Larson,
>> Boswell, Kanold, Stiff; McDougal Littell:

> Like I said, your old high school was like some old high schools but not like other old high schools. Look at the NY Regents and then tell me things are harder now. Yes, for the kids that never planned on taking algebra in the first place, they are harder, but still a joke. For the kids that were planning on it, they are easier (not everywhere) and that is the problem.
>
> Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
10/5/12
Read Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Jerry P. Becker
10/6/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Robert Hansen
10/6/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Robert Hansen
10/7/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Paul A. Tanner III
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Robert Hansen
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Paul A. Tanner III
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Robert Hansen
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Robert Hansen
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Paul A. Tanner III
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Haim
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Paul A. Tanner III
10/9/12
[...]
GS Chandy
10/9/12