Topic: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Replies: 22   Last Post: Oct 9, 2012 6:06 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2012, at 11:59 AM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For instance, on Algebra I courses - do you really want raise the
> minimum floor such that only the gifted can get above it, making it so
> that only the gifted could ever be expected to pass even just a
> general Algebra I course? If so, I would think that those who wrote or
> who are in favor of such as the CA Mathematics Content Standards would
> disagree with you, since they wrote those standards for the whole
> population. Are you aware that Wayne Bishop was part of that movement
> that created these CA standards - this minimum floor - for all?
>

> If CA wrote those standards for the "whole" population then they didn't do a
> good job since only 25% of the "whole" population passes.

This is a good example of you not being clear. Only 25% passes what? Algebra I and Geometry classes? Their exit exam? This cannot be correct, since when I taught in CA about 10 years ago, passing these classes with at least a C was and as far as I know still required for graduation from high school. And they had an exit exam then, but a new one replaced it in 2006 I believe.

They also had then and still do have other state tests that are based on the CA content standards, but these tests do not need to be passed by the students in order to graduate, but they are high-stakes for the schools.

Perhaps you could tell us what you mean by this 25% - and make sure that you cite and link to what you cite. Perhaps you mean those who score "proficient" or whatever, and if so, what does that mean? Equivalent to getting an A in a class? Getting at least a D? What? Passing a class does not mean getting an A or even a B - it means getting at least a D. And getting a D does not mean that one is proficient (I would think), unless what's what you mean.

> What if we defined
> music instruction for the "whole" population? What does that get us? A whole
> population that knows a little bit about music but none able to make it a
> profession?

How about the truth? Which is that all learn something and some learn it well enough to make it a profession. There are lots of undergraduate STEM majors in CA coming out of the high schools there. (Maybe not enough to suit you. But so what on that?)

Yeah, you keep going on about how everyone is learning nothing, but such universal statement idiocy is just that - idiocy.

Date Subject Author
10/5/12
Read Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Jerry P. Becker
10/6/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Robert Hansen
10/6/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Robert Hansen
10/7/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Paul A. Tanner III
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Robert Hansen
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Paul A. Tanner III
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Robert Hansen
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Robert Hansen
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Paul A. Tanner III
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Haim
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Paul A. Tanner III
10/9/12
[...]
GS Chandy
10/9/12