Topic: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Replies: 22   Last Post: Oct 9, 2012 6:06 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yeah, you keep going on about how everyone is learning nothing, but
> such universal statement idiocy is just that - idiocy.
>

> As before, I am glad I didn't say that.

You come close to that again and again, like this, "a whole population
that knows a little bit about music but none able to make it a
profession."

What you're actually communicating is, "a whole population that knows
a little bit about math but none able to make it a profession."

You have said things this again and again.

You also said before that the drastic increase in the minimum
requirements for both teachers and students means NOTHING.

I note your terms "none" and "nothing" - these are universal
statements that you keep making.

Again: You keep doing this all the time.

This above is you communicating that which deny you communicate.

By the way, it's called "implicit meaning".

You implicit meaning is quite clear to me from your continued use of
such universal language. Yeah, you can claim that you're exaggerating
and all that, but even allowing for that, you go way too far in
condemning the whole shebang when there are in fact many successes,
such as what I document with tons of citations, again and again, most
recently here:

"Re: An Algebra 2 Test"

> Regarding "passing" I mean proficient according to the end of course exams.
> I'll look up the actual number, it is probably higher than 25% for Algebra

Just as I suspected. You are not properly equating "passing" with the outcomes.

The term "passing" in terms of letter grades includes even the lowest
possible D. See

http://star.cde.ca.gov/star2012/help_scoreexplanations.aspx

to see that there are four levels, and the top three should be
considered passing, since "basic" covers what we can see from someone
who barely gets through a class with the lowest possible D.

Date Subject Author
10/5/12
Read Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Jerry P. Becker
10/6/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Robert Hansen
10/6/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Robert Hansen
10/7/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Paul A. Tanner III
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Robert Hansen
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Paul A. Tanner III
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Robert Hansen
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Robert Hansen
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Paul A. Tanner III
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Haim
10/8/12
Read Re: Exit Exams Face Pinch in Common-Core Push
Paul A. Tanner III
10/9/12
[...]
GS Chandy
10/9/12