Topic: Mathematical Induction
Replies: 2   Last Post: Oct 9, 2012 8:44 PM

Ben Brink

From: Rosenberg, TX
Registered: 11/11/06
RE: Mathematical Induction
att1.html (1.6 K)

Joe,
The "n" at the end is the final integer value, but it starts with 0.
In fact, if n = 0 the left side ends with 2*(-7)^0 = 2*1 = 2, while the right side is just (1-(-7)^(0+1))/4 = (1-(-7))/4 = 8/4 = 2. Therefore the equation "works" for n = 0. The harder part is showing that if it works with n replaced by k, then it also works for n replaced by k+1.
Good luck, and come back with any further questions.
Ben