Topic: An Algebra 2 Test
Replies: 44   Last Post: Oct 10, 2012 2:42 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: An Algebra 2 Test

Haim posted Oct 9, 2012 8:41 PM (GSC's response follows):

> Paul A. Tanner, III Posted: Oct 9, 2012 1:49 AM
>

> >People need to look beneath the surface to see what
> the
> >truth really is, which includes the following set of
>
> >facts that shows that not only is there no collapse
> of
> >public education in the US, we have very much the
> >opposite:

> - ------------------
> http://www.cfr.org/united-states/us-education-reform-n
> ational-security/p27618
> "Educational failure puts the United States' future
> economic prosperity, global position, and physical
> safety at risk," warns the Task Force, chaired by
> Joel I. Klein, former head of New York City public
> schools, and Condoleezza Rice, former U.S. secretary
> of state.
> - -----------------------
>
> Note the bipartisan nature of the messengers.
> rs. Joel Klein was assistant attorney general under
> President Bill Clinton (D), while Condoleeza Rice was
> secretary of state under President George W. Bush
> (R). In other words, everybody thinks American
> public education has collapsed.
>
> You can sense this even in the schizophrenic
> nic statements by the Education Mafia themselves.
> They will tell you how great they are doing while,
> , in the very same breath, they plead for vastly more
> money to fix what ails the system.
>
> Haim
> No representation without taxation.

Remarkably enough, I do agree with one of Haim's (implicit) contentions:

To fix whatever is ailing the US educational system, "vastly more money" should not be required. Whatever ails most systems that are not functioning as we want them to is a matter of effective system design, and it is not generally a matter of vastly expanded funds. Information about some useful tools for the design of **effective** systems is provided in outline at the attached documents.

[The above should tempered by the following:

[-- In case US teachers are indeed unfairly burdened with "overwork and underpayment" for their labours in comparison with other 'developed economies', that should certainly be fixed first.

[-- In most cases, it does not require vastly expanded funding to fix an ineffective or malfunctioning system. It requires effective design of the system.

[It is remarkable that the US, which has successfully designed systems to win the 'race to the moon' and also lately to win the 'race to Mars' (if there ever was such a race), has not troubled to study how to design effective systems!

[It is even more remarkable that the foundations of means to ENSURE effective design of complex systems were laid by a US scientist - the late Professor John N. Warfield. More information about Warfield's seminal contributions to systems science is available at:

-- http://www.jnwarfield.com ; and at "The John N. Warfield Collection", held at the library of George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, USA - check out: https://www.google.com/url?q=http://ead.lib.virginia.edu/vivaead/published/gmu/vivadoc.pl%3Ffile%3Dvifgm00008.xml&sa=U&ei=yeB0UN-ANojIrQeC34D4Bw&ved=0CBUQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGs52b79aXes8CEn8fZcBpzaxRaeA ].

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!" - with apologies if due to Barry Garelick for any tedium caused; and the observation that the tedium is easily avoided by the simple expedient of not opening any messages purporting to originate from GSC)

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
9/28/12