Topic: Solving Transcendental Equations ~ sin(x)/x
Replies: 3   Last Post: Nov 26, 2012 5:17 AM

Alan Weiss

Re: Solving Transcendental Equations ~ sin(x)/x

On 10/11/2012 12:33 AM, ehahn wrote:
>>> syms y;
>>> p=0;
>>> k = -2*pi;.01:2*pi;
>>> s='P*sin(y*a)/(y*a)+cos(y*a)=cos(x*a)';
>>> solve(s)

> Warning: Explicit solution could not be found.
>> In solve at 169
>
> ans =
>
> [ empty sym ]
>
> Hi all, I am trying to solve this transcendental eqn for a class project. I only know Matlab basics and I am having trouble figuring out what is not working.
>
> Ideally I would solve this for p = [0 3*pi/2 3*pi/10 1000] and then plot(x,y)
>
> Thanks for any help
> -Eric
>
> --http://compgroups.net/comp.soft-sys.matlab/

In my opinion, you should be looking for numerical solutions, not
symbolic ones. Take a look at the documentation for fzero.
http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/math/roots-of-scalar-functions.html

Alan Weiss