Topic: Topic 5 - The Beginning of the End
Replies: 12   Last Post: Oct 11, 2012 12:34 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Topic 5 - The Beginning of the End

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Oct 11, 2012 6:28 PM (GSC's remarks interspersed):

> On Oct 11, 2012, at 1:43 AM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > After your having grown up in that kind of
> situation, it is surprising that have approximately
> zero understanding of just what a huge stride you
> must have taken to understand the value that learning
> (at that time) would bring to you - some 30/40/more
> years down the line!
>
> I did not see value.

OK. I retract - I should've mentioned an alternative (i.e., "enjoyment"). You surely know best what you saw or did not see.

>Does a budding musician see
> value in music?

"Practicing scales" is NOT something more valuable to do with the musician's time than just goofing off? Well, we should talk to specific musicians to find out whether they see more value in practicing music than in just goofing off. I am NOT about to do that research! Say, "value/enjoyment" wherever I've stated or implied "value". Does that satisfy?
>.
A budding artist?

See above.

A writer?

See above.

> I was a
> natural academic, as are many here on this forum.

Quite possibly.

> Let's not make up things we didn't see and propose to
> make others see them.

"Value/enjoyment" ?

>Every student has potential, it
> is a teacher's job to find it, nurture it and grow
> it.

Yes, indeed. And in the current system, that happens far too rarely - in my view because teachers, instead of being amongst the most highly valued members of society are rather looked down upon. This is, by and large, the case in India. From Paul Tanner's posts, I'd guess somewhat somewhat a similar (NOT the same!) situation holds in the USA. It's up to you to change that 'system' - as it is up to us to change ours here in India.

>The problem is that our system of education only
> sees potential in particular subjects, like algebra
> and not in its students.

That is probably part of your problem - not the entire problem.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")

Message was edited by: GS Chandy