Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 11, 2012 4:18 PM

Kevin Sharitz

RE: [ap-calculus] Going crazy

NOTE:
and post messages there.
Call the point of intersection between one tangent and the first curve (a,f(a)) and the intersection of that tangent and the other curve (b,g(b)). You can calculate the slope between those points and get the slope of the tangent line in terms of a and b(the unkown x values of the points of intersection). Next find f'(a) and g'(b) (the slope of that same tangent line)
f'(a)=2a g'(b)=-2b+2 thus a=1-b. Substitute that into the equation you got for calculating the slope of the points and you should come up with two values for b(the two x values where the two tangent lines hit the second curve) then solve for a. So you get two pairs of points (a1,f(a1) and (b1, g(b1) and also (a2,f(a2)) and (b2,g(b2)). You can write the equations of those lines now.

Sorry if this is rather roughly written, calculus was not meant to be typed in an email.

-Kevin Sharitz