Replies: 130   Last Post: Oct 19, 2012 10:23 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida

Teaching hours Paul. remember?

I never said teachers work 5 hours a day. You based this all on teaching hours. I have been to the school at 2:15 a hundred times, except for a scattering of after school activities, the vast majority of the students are gone before the bell chimes at 2:30. I live two blocks from the school (I can hear the bell in my house). I have also visited the school many times in the day, we are allowed to have lunch with our children if we want. The schedule is as it is to give the teachers breaks during the day. I have also emailed the teachers during the day, and gotten replies.

I am not making a claim that the teachers are not working hard.

Bob Hansen

On Oct 12, 2012, at 1:15 AM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 11, 2012, at 11:24 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I challenge you to prove your BS claims by actually naming a district
>> where the contracted teaching hours are as you say, only low twenties
>> per week.
>>

>> My son's school is 8:00 to 2:30. They are lined up at the door to leave at
>> 2:15. Take away Lunch, Recess and an Activity, < 5 hours of teaching time.
>> All Florida primary schools are like that.
>>
>> Bob Hansen

> Just as I thought. You are confusing your son's day with the day of
> those teachers.
>
> I taught in FL, at the secondary level. My contracted work day was 7.5
> hours - 8:15 to 3:45. I taught 3 different 2 hour blocks. Of course
> there was time between classes, time for the students to get to the
> next class. (That could have made my "teaching hours" not exactly 6
> hours on paper by some measures, but close enough. Perhaps that
> technicality is what you are trying to get away with.) Lunch was only
> a half hour.
>
> The standard contract in FL is 37.5 hours. Use any keyword search you
> want at Google - it's all over the place. Try
>
> teaching contract FL 37.5
>
> for one.

Date Subject Author
Paul A. Tanner III