Replies: 130   Last Post: Oct 19, 2012 10:23 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida

On Oct 12, 2012, at 1:24 AM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see what this is.

Nope, you don't see what this is...

http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/k12/florida-teacher-salaries-headed-to-no-47-in-the-nation/1152211

If that list had included benefits it would have said that at the bottom. According to that article above, those are the averages without benefits or other considerations. Teacher salaries vary a lot from one district to another and one state to another. I think the confusion is that some people quote district averages (like their district) but not state or national averages.

Also interesting, the average teacher salary in the US is about the same as the average salary in the US, but in Norway the average teacher salary is less than the average salary.

But the real issue isn't averages or comparing averages (salaries are based on supply and demand, not wishes). The issue is how much tax revenue you can get from the taxpayer and that seems to have a limit. Whether you are talking Norway, Japan, the US or Canada, we all have roads, hospitals, and schools. Whether it is through taxes, fees or private funds, money pays for all of that. As I have said before, if teachers want better pay then they will have to look at how the money we already give schools is divided. In other words, I don't think you can get better pay by asking us for more money cause we obviously are not giving you any more. I think you need to look at how it is apportioned in the school. But, after looking more deeply into Norway's situation more closely, it seems that teachers everywhere are priced about the same. Although a few districts seem to have broken that ceiling.

Bob Hansen

> This chart has to be including "benefits" as part of the "salary" -
> but what you cited for Norway does not include benefits as part of
> their salary. And so you need to compare apples to apples. This is
> just more BS when you don't compare fairly.
>
> Citations like what I cited below (from FoxNews even) tells the truth
> as to what teachers make in terms of what they actually have to buy
> food with: $44,000.
>
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

>> You left my citation off my post? Didn't we have this talk before?
>>
>> http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d10/tables/dt10_083.asp
>>
>> Here is the math-teach version just so people realize that you mis-stated
>> the record...
>>
>> http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7904663
>>
>> Bob Hansen
>>
>> On Oct 12, 2012, at 12:50 AM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
>>
>> One other update, the average teacher salary in the USA is $55,000, not
>> $42,000 and the average Florida teacher salary is $46,000.
>>

>> Total BS. No citations. Typical when spouting BS.
>>
>> Here is one citation that one can grab from all over, proving your
>> claim to be BS, even from FoxNews:
>>
>> "Average teacher makes $44G while their top union bosses pull in nearly
>> $500G"
>> http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/14/teacher-union-bigs-rake-in-dough-despite-budget-cuts-across-education-sector/

Date Subject Author
Paul A. Tanner III