Replies: 130   Last Post: Oct 19, 2012 10:23 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 2:27 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
> Now we have to find the numbers for Norway and Japan...
>
> This article says that they go to school from 9:00 to 2:00...
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/4088838.stm
>
> Note the blurb at the bottom where the teacher union wants more pay if they must be with the students during pre or after care.
>
> And this is an actual school with a schedule (I'll be looking at those math topics later)...

You are still confusing the child's "work day" with the teacher's work day.

The number of hours that teachers have to be on campus is greater than
the number of hours that children have to be on campus.

And you still need to know this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brevard_Public_Schools

Quote: "In 2011, the average teacher earned $44,442 annually, not
including benefits. A starting teacher earns $36,000. Top salary was
$56,350 after 21 years.[23]"

This is proof that you are wrong and that my citation of FoxNews is
correct, when they say exactly that $44,000 figure.

I'm sorry, Robert, but I know what I'm talking about. That starting
salary and ending salary excluding benefits mentioned above is
perfectly in line with what I knew to be case when I taught in FL just
few years ago.

Teacher pay in the US and in FL especially did not increase 25% over
just a few years time during this past worldwide Great Recession.

We teachers pay attention to these types of things. We want to know
what we will paid down the road if we stick it out.

Not only that, but you really need to look at the OECD statistics for
many countries:

http://www.oecd.org/education/highereducationandadultlearning/48631419.pdf

Look at Table D4.1 - it gives a breakdown of teachers' working time,
the total per week being relatively the same for the countries of
Northern Europe, Japan, Korea, and the US. It shows that you simply do
not have a case that teachers in the US are not overworked in
comparison to them in terms of teaching hours per year, and teaching
hours per week and per day when school is in session. You have to
again recall that the US school year is 180, and it's 190 in Finland,
190 in Norway, 225 in South Korea, and 243 in Japan.

Date Subject Author
Paul A. Tanner III
Robert Hansen
Paul A. Tanner III