Replies: 130   Last Post: Oct 19, 2012 10:23 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida

So are you saying that secondary teachers teach 6 hours a day? I can live with that. I am saying that primary teachers teach 5 hours a day. If those are the numbers then I am fine. Now we have to find the numbers for Norway and Japan...

This article says that they go to school from 9:00 to 2:00...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/4088838.stm

Note the blurb at the bottom where the teacher union wants more pay if they must be with the students during pre or after care.

And this is an actual school with a schedule (I'll be looking at those math topics later)...

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://www.blommenholm.skole.no/files/2012/10/ukeplan_41.doc&usg=ALkJrhitb8sNXMc69yqB5O1AjqsQz4NoEA

That link says 8:30 to 1:30. All in all it appears that their primary school day is 1.5 hours less than ours, which would equate to 3.5 teaching hours.

Maybe that is why the Norwegian teacher salary is below average.

Bob Hansen

On Oct 12, 2012, at 1:15 AM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 12:20 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 11, 2012, at 11:24 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I challenge you to prove your BS claims by actually naming a district
>> where the contracted teaching hours are as you say, only low twenties
>> per week.
>>

>> My son's school is 8:00 to 2:30. They are lined up at the door to leave at
>> 2:15. Take away Lunch, Recess and an Activity, < 5 hours of teaching time.
>> All Florida primary schools are like that.
>>
>> Bob Hansen

> Just as I thought. You are confusing your son's day with the day of
> those teachers.
>
> I taught in FL, at the secondary level. My contracted work day was 7.5
> hours - 8:15 to 3:45. I taught 3 different 2 hour blocks. Of course
> there was time between classes, time for the students to get to the
> next class. (That could have made my "teaching hours" not exactly 6
> hours on paper by some measures, but close enough. Perhaps that
> technicality is what you are trying to get away with.) Lunch was only
> a half hour.
>
> The standard contract in FL is 37.5 hours. Use any keyword search you
> want at Google - it's all over the place. Try
>
> teaching contract FL 37.5
>
> for one.

Date Subject Author
Paul A. Tanner III