Replies: 130   Last Post: Oct 19, 2012 10:23 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 9:36 PM, Haim <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:
> Let me remind you why this is a foolish discussion you are having with Paul. Pay special attention to this passage:
>

>>Buffalo's teachers haven't had a new contract since the
>>last one expired in 2004. That's because they haven't
>>needed one, thanks to a 1982 state law known as the
>>Triborough Amendment. Under the law, when a public
>>employee's contract expires, they are allowed to
>>continue working under its terms until their union
>>reaches a new agreement with the state. They get to keep
>>all their benefits, along with any yearly salary
>>increase built into the old deal. In the case of the
>>Buffalo schools, teachers have been getting yearly
>>2.5% "step increases" since 2007, when the state-imposed
>>control board that oversees Buffalo's municipal finances
>>unfroze salaries.
>>
>>As a result, there isn't much incentive for the union to
>>sit down and hash out a new contract. Not in these days
>>of government austerity, and not when they might be
>>asked to make additional concessions on fundamental
>>issues such as teacher evaluations.

> Haim
> No representation without taxation.

The point?

What does this have to do with teaching hours, the total number of
students that a US teacher has to deal with, and so on?

[Answer: Nothing.]

That is, I challenge you to explicitly state and prove what you are
trying to imply here.

Date Subject Author
Paul A. Tanner III
Robert Hansen