Replies: 130   Last Post: Oct 19, 2012 10:23 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Well, there it is.

Your denial of the OECD data that talked about in
is now exposed as utterly false. You just confirmed that your school is not a school from which one can in any way infer to the general case for US elementary schools, an inference you have repeatedly tried to get away with in your denial of the OECD data.

And you STILL have not told us whether your school is a charter school or some other special school. (But it seems to me I might recall that you have said some time ago that it is.)

If it is a special school like some charter school, then that is even more devastating to your wrong thinking that you could infer to the general case from your school. You need to be up front here and tell us honestly whether your school is any type at all of such a school, including any type of charter school.

Nothing you have said and nothing you could ever say about your school is relevant to the general case, since the vast majority of elementary schools in the US are not schools in which this method that some call looping is implemented. (This is the method of one teacher teaching only 20 or so kids all subjects all day long. The students do not have different teachers for different subjects at all.)

Yes, 900 teaching hours per year for your son's teacher (if this is really to be believed - I still do not since we have no idea the details of her actual teaching contract and how things are calculated in it since we do not know the school and district) is still 50% greater than the teaching hours per year of a teacher in these countries in question, but still almost 200 teaching hours per year shy of the average US elementary school teacher. See the OECD charts linked to in my post above and stop denying them.

The title of this post is true. In terms of hours in front of classes and in terms of total numbers of students in all classes when the classes are so-called one-hour classes (all secondary schools and the vast majority of elementary schools do not practice looping), US public school teachers are overworked and underpaid in comparison to the teachers of the top-performing countries of Japan, Finland, and Korea, which for primary and secondary schools range between mid 500s and mid 600s (see the OECD charts and stop denying them) with primary hours greater than secondary hours (true even in the US - see the OECD charts and stop denying them), for school years that are respectively 243, 190, and 225 days in comparison to 180 days in the US.

Date Subject Author
Paul A. Tanner III
Robert Hansen
Paul A. Tanner III