Replies: 130   Last Post: Oct 19, 2012 10:23 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

The OECD data that I talked about in
is the truth. Stop denying it.

Yes, 900 teaching hours per year for your son's teacher (if this is really to be believed - I still do not since we have no idea the details of her actual teaching contract and how things are calculated in it since we do not know the school and district) is still 50% greater than the teaching hours per year of a teacher in these countries in question, but still almost 200 teaching hours per year shy of the average US elementary school teacher. That's why I want to see the contracts, to see how teaching hours are calculated - it's way off. But if your school is a public charter school, then that would explain it. So tell us whether it is a charter school.

See the OECD charts linked to in my post above and stop denying them.

The title of this post is true. In terms of hours in front of classes - and at least for secondary teachers in terms of total numbers of students in all classes when the classes are so called one-hour classes, US public school teachers are overworked and underpaid in comparison to the teachers of the top-performing countries of Japan, Finland, and Korea, which for primary and secondary schools range between mid 500s and mid 600s (see the OECD charts and stop denying them) with primary hours greater than secondary hours (true even in the US - see the OECD charts and stop denying them), for school years that are respectively 243, 190, and 225 days in comparison to 180 days in the US.

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
> Primary school Paul. She has the same students all day. She teaches them less than 5 hours. For goodness sake, are your telling me I don't know what time I drop my son off at school and pick him up? Except for activity, recess and lunch, he is in that classroom the whole school day. His stuff is in his desk, including papers he was supposed to bring home. I saw them.
>
> 5 hours is still 900 hours, only 100 or so shy of the article you posted. I don't understand your beef.
>
> Regarding secondary school, which I have as yet verified, what would bother me more than teaching algebra 5 times a day is teaching a mix of algebra and remedial maths 5 times a day. But I would do what I had to do I guess. My job is no walk in the park either, and it is year round. The only way you are going to get less teaching hours is for the U.S. to reduce the school day as some of these other countries have done. I suspect if that were to happen then they would also reduce your salary.
>
> Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
Paul A. Tanner III
Robert Hansen