Topic: how do you factor this?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Oct 15, 2012 6:41 PM

Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz

Re: how do you factor this?

In article <bk5e78psj1i2pkrf2n1urbsi6n1c9m2icr@4ax.com>,
stoneboy <x@x.com> wrote:

> 1+a+b+c+ab+bc+ca+abc
>
> .... How do I go about deciphering how to group and
> factor the original equation above....

jdmgt has shown you how this one can be handled. As a general rule
for expressions with more than one variable, it's often a good idea to
concentrate on one variable at a time. Thinking of this example in
terms of c gives

c(ab + a + b + 1) + (ab + a + b + 1)

= (c + 1)(ab + a + b + 1).

Then think of the factor (ab + a + b + 1) interms of b:

b(a + 1) + (a + 1) etc.

A similar trick sometimes works with expressions of higher degree.

Ken Pledger.