Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 17, 2012 1:39 PM

Mathew Deram

RE: [ap-calculus] larson pg 137 exercise 69

NOTE:
and post messages there.
Dwayne,

Start with
(I) x^2 - kx = 5x - 4 (the y-values must be the same at the point of tangency)

and

(II) 2x - k = 5 (the derivatives must also be the same at the points of tangency).

Then solve for k in (II).
(IIa) k = 2x - 5

Substitute into (I)
(III) x^2 - (2x-5)*x = 5x - 4

Simplify
x^2 - 2x^2 + 5x = 5x - 4
x^2 - 4 = 0
Factor
(x - 2)(x + 2) = 0
x = 2, -2

We are not done! Substitute back into (IIa) to solve for k.
k = 2(2) - 5 = -1
k = 2(-2) - 5 = -9

It seems that you just forgot to solve for k after finding x. Let me know if you have any questions!

Sincerely,
Mat