Topic: Calculator Use
Replies: 13   Last Post: Nov 16, 2012 6:30 AM

Tennantij@aol.com

Re: Calculator Use
att1.html (3.0 K)

It will be a struggle but it would not make sense for them to give us those standards and then turn around and say, "Hey, you can just use a calculator!"
I am waiting more from the state before I turn them loose with calculators. If you look at assessment samples from Smarter Balance and PARCC, they have some problems that specifically say: use calculator and others that say no to calculator usage--so I say we have to have balance and they are going to have to be able to do fraction and decimal operations without calculators and it is not going to be very pretty! --oh, that is why we get the big bucks!

and in case you think I have high level classes--I have way over 50% of my students failing the previous year test and my first period has 100% failing with 1;s and low 2's--will be an interesting year, to say the least!

Iva Jean Tennant
President of Association of Mathematics Teachers of NYS
Past President of AMTST
People to People Student Ambassador Delegation Leader