Topic: 'Education(al) Research' Vs. 'Scientific Research'
Replies: 2   Last Post: Oct 18, 2012 9:56 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: 'Education(al) Research' Vs. 'Scientific Research'

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Oct 15, 2012 6:29 PM (GSC's remarks follow):

> On Oct 15, 2012, at 3:15 AM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Anyway, it does seem that Robert Hansen is woefully
> wrong again when he claims that 'Education Research'
> and 'Scientific Research' are two entirely different
> 'species' of things. In fact, 'Education Research'
> merely applies the 'Scientific Method' to research on
> education.
>
> I said... In scientific research, conclusions
> (especially claims of success) are tested again,
> again, again, and again, by many different
> researchers. In educational research, they are not.
> One does a study, claims success, publishes it in a
> peer reviewed journal (which I guess just means a
> journal) and that is the end of it.
>
> Bob Hansen

I've no time to reply in any detail - but I believe your case (whatever it may be) is far from proven. In fact it's not even demonstrated that you have a case at all.

I do strongly believe that you need to acquaint yourself with what "scientific research" really means, and how and why it is done. Also, you do need to understand what "educational research" should mean - it is, as I understand, the application of the "scientific method" to issues in education (in particular, as to means by which new knowledge can ingress into the human mind - and how we can do it or get it done effectively).

I make no claims as to the validity of the claims made by Dr Jo Boaler in regard to improvement in learning by some students. (I bring this up as this thread of yours as it seems to have been provoked by issues discussed at the thread entitled "Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop", which seems to have demonstrated - to me, at least - that James Milgram and Wayne Bishop did indeed behave unprofessionally (and unprofessorially) in trying to discredit Jo Boaler's research. If Boaler had falsified her research results, etc, that could have been well proven or at least demonstrated in a much more effective and civilized way than the way the eminent professors went about it: at the end of it all, they've only convinced those who were already 'true believers'! (However, I for one - who is far from being a 'true believer' - am still willing to be convinced if some reasoned arguments for the case can be put forth).

However, I do agree that many papers that I've read in 'educational research' do fall short of the standards I'd apply to them. (This does NOT refer to any research papers by Jo Boaler, which I've not read - I have read only her ("When Academic Disagreement Becomes Harassment and Persecution") - where she seems to have demonstrated her case and complaint of persecution by Professors Milgram and Bishop.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")