Topic: Please remind me why -3^2 = -9
Replies: 26   Last Post: Nov 18, 2012 7:51 PM

Phil Mahler

RE: Please remind me why -3^2 = -9
att1.html (16.5 K)

I'm with Guy. It's a convention, and one that is hard to remember (for students).

I know we want it read as the opposite of 3 squared, and we can look at -3 as -1 * 3 if we want, though that depends on your base axioms, and usually the negatives come from positing an axiom that every number has an additive inverse, and someone else said we can look at it as subtraction, 0 - 3^2. But to me these are all patches, that manifestly don't work well. None of the suggestions I see for finding a rational basis for one interpretation are widely accepted conventions, it seems to me.

I'm mindful that a $250M spacecraft crashed into Mars instead of orbiting because in the US we used feet and inches, while in England they used metric. I wouldn't want to fly in a plane designed where one engineer used the expression -3^2 (I know this is a stretch) and sent it to the factory for fabrication. Very iffy. As Guy notes we should write what we mean clearly. It is a convention that should be avoided, perhaps banned. :) I don't waste time on it and don't test it.

So, -x^2 evaluated for x = -3, fine. But not -3^2. And even the expression with the variable could be dangerous.

Actually the only good rule I see is that an exponent only applies to the symbol it "touches". Not very mathematical but it seems to work.

Phil

p.s. I guess my being peevish about it is that it takes much more class time than it is worth (usually starts a polite argument with the students), and if you want to ensure few perfect papers, do put it on the test. OK, enough from me on the subject. :)

Phil