Topic: Please remind me why -3^2 = -9
Replies: 26   Last Post: Nov 18, 2012 7:51 PM

RotmanJ

RE: Please remind me why -3^2 = -9
att1.html (16.1 K)

Phil and all:

The expression "-3^2" deals with the order of operations; the most advanced operations are always done first unless a grouping symbol 'forces' a lower prior operation to be done first. Since exponentiation is more advanced than the sign of a number, the exponent only applies to one symbol (the 3) when there are no grouping symbols.

Instead of banning this type of problem, I believe that we should ban "PEMDAS" or anything like it. The use of overly simplistic rules (often stated as a sequence of nouns) discourages learning and encourages memorization. If a large rate of correct answers is the only criteria, just have students use a calculator and train them on use of parentheses. If we are teaching mathematics, we should focus on understanding the priority of operations. What Phil internalized was this understanding; saying 'PEMDAS' does not provide any of the understanding to our students [I normally spend about a tenth of my time in class trying to undo the damage of PEMDAS. Undoing partially correct information is terribly difficult!]

Even if we never showed "-3^2", students would still be evaluating x^2 for x=-3; knowing that this means squaring a negative is a part of basic literacy in mathematics.

For those with an interest, I've posted some "anti-PEMDAS" comments on my blog (www.devmathrevival.net ). You can use the search box on the site to find them.

Jack Rotman

Professor, Mathematics Department

Lansing Community College