Topic: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Replies: 52   Last Post: Oct 26, 2012 12:10 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop

> On Oct 18, 2012, at 2:43 PM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > The fundamental fact (/difficulty) we need to work
> with is that a majority of students come out of
> school fearing/loathing math. This is not natural,
>
> Seems to be natural. Piano lessons, the same result.
> So there is the common thread. If you want to gain
> something from the endeavor, it takes work. Work not
> fun.
>
> Bob Hansen

Here is where I most profoundly disagree with you - I cannot even begin to express how profound the disagreement is. And perhaps this is the core issue that has created so much 'dispute' between us - so let me try and explain my viewpoint:

Learning (which should be the object of schooling) SHOULD BE FUN! (Not 'fun' as in the sense of 'play', 'playschool' etc - but 'fun' as in 'enjoyable'). The learner should always feel that his/her learning is something most enjoyable, so that he/she goes to school and does his/her homework with as much enjoyment as in playing some enjoyable game, watching an enjoyable TV program and the like.

(The child who is going to grow up to be a real pianist truly ENJOYS his/her piano lessons - and that is why he/she does all the scales, etc, with enjoyment [probably because he/she pictures the future skill when it is developed]. The child who is NOT going to become a competent pianist is bored by or actively hates piano lessons. (I speak from personal experience, as I was just such a child who hated his piano lessons AND the practice!)

Scientists have investigated and I believe have conclusively demonstrated that there is a kind of 'endorphin rush' (most enjoyable indeed, I can testify from long ago) when an athlete approaches his training. They don't yet know how to BRING ABOUT that endorphin rush in a person unaccustomed to physical exercise (and a whole new phony racket has grown up around this lack of knowledge!).

I believe there must be something of the same nature when an eager learner approaches his/her learning session - perhaps some scientific research is called for. I know that, using OPMS as a basic tool to stimulate interest and curiosity, I was able to help enable a freshman college student who loathed mathematics to enjoy and indeed look forward to his math learning; I've described this case innumerable times at this forum, and I'd guess, from your above response, that you have not looked at - or not understood its 'implications' if you had looked at it. (See, for instance, this very post to which you are responding, and, most particularly, the attachment, where I've briefly described that case).

It's no big deal, I agree, that one success with a student. But see my claim in this context in the above message.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!" - with apologies if due to Barry Garelick for the tedium caused; with also the observation that this tedium is very EASILY avoided by the simple expendiet of not opening any message purported to originate from GSC)

Date Subject Author
10/13/12
Read Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/13/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
GS Chandy
10/13/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Robert Hansen
10/13/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Haim
10/14/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Haim
10/14/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Louis Talman
10/14/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Wayne Bishop
10/14/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Haim
10/16/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Louis Talman
10/14/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
GS Chandy
10/14/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
GS Chandy
10/14/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Robert Hansen
10/14/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
GS Chandy
10/15/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Robert Hansen
10/14/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Ruth Walker
10/15/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Haim
10/16/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Haim
10/17/12
[...]
Greg Goodknight
10/17/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Robert Hansen
10/17/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Greg Goodknight
10/17/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Haim
10/18/12
[...]
10/19/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
GS Chandy
10/19/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
GS Chandy
10/19/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
GS Chandy
10/26/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Wayne Bishop
10/19/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Michael Paul Goldenberg
10/19/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
lajones
10/20/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
lajones
10/20/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
GS Chandy
10/20/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Robert Hansen
10/20/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
Robert Hansen
10/20/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
lajones
10/21/12
Read Re: Jo Boaler reveals attacks by Milgram and Bishop
GS Chandy
10/25/12