Topic: Please remind me why -3^2 = -9
Replies: 26   Last Post: Nov 18, 2012 7:51 PM

Alain Schremmer

Re: Please remind me why -3^2 = -9

On Oct 19, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Clyde Greeno wrote:

> A Mackey-prompted extension:
>
> "Below, insert parens to show two reasonable interpretations of '-
> x^y' ... and circle the one that is most commonly used in
> mathematical literature:
> -x^y or -x^y "
> ... then illustrate the difference, by evaluating both formulas, by
> choosing a value for x, and a value for y, and using those values in
> each of your two parenthesized formulas. Which of those values is
> displayed by your calculator ... with and without your parens "

Indeed, even nicer.

I find it interesting that I very rarely have that kind of idea. But
then that's why people collaborate. Too bad, though, that mathematics
"educators" usually don't even want to consider the possibility.

Regards
--schremmer

Date Subject Author
10/18/12