Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 20, 2012 8:59 AM

Sue Abrams

Re: [ap-calculus] Free Response National Averages

NOTE:
and post messages there.
I think that looking at national averages can be meaningful only if you
have a very open policy about who can enroll in an AP course. For example,
some schools, in order to boost their results, have things like entrance
exams for AP classes, effectively eliminating students who might benefit
from AP rigor but whose scores would lower their averages. These schools
publicly boast very high scores, but it's because students who might score
2's, 3's, and even 4's are not permitted to take an AP course despite the
College Board's research that shows even a score of 2 can help a student
succeed in college.

Sue Abrams
Montpelier HS, VT

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 6:26 AM, Deirdre A Crescioli
<dacrescioli@fcps.edu>wrote:

> NOTE:
> This ap-calculus EDG will be closing in the next few weeks. Please sign up
> for the new AP Calculus
> Teacher Community Forum at
> https://apcommunity.collegeboard.org/getting-started
> and post messages there.

> I was wondering if anyone had the national averages for the free response
> questions prior to 2000 that they could send me, or if anyone knows where I
> can find them. With PLC/CLT becoming such a focus, it would be helpful to
> have those averages so we can see where our students fall with respect to
> the national mean.
>
> Thank you!
> ---
> To search the list archives for previous posts go to
> http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/?forum=ap-calculus

---