Replies: 2   Last Post: Oct 22, 2012 10:00 PM

Alain Schremmer

Re: [Hake's] Is "Education Research" "Scientific Research" ? YES!"

Once again, I must agree with Greeno:

(1) As of this day, education is still a lot more of an art than a
science. Which is not to say that there is no logic to education. Nor
is it to say that educational experience cannot be transmitted. Nor is
to say that there approaches that cannot possibly workJ This is just
that there is not enough logic and not enough reproducibility to
educando to qualify as hard science.

(2) The fact that a certain way of teaching some part of mathematics
works for some population does not entail that it will work for
another population or for some other part of mathematics.

One example is that adults cannot learn, say,arithmetic the way
children can. For one, the learning would have to occur in vastly
different lengths of time. Yet, I have to say that, many years ago, a
colleague and I experimented with Z.P. Dienes' multi-arithmetic blocks
in our respective sections of developmental arithmetic and, to some
extent, we were able to check our observations by comparing them. For
instance, we both found that, towards the end of the course, while
most students would be able to add fractions in any basis less than
TEN, when it came to TEN, most reverted to a/b + c/d = a+c / b+d.

Another is that offsprings of well-to-do families having no reason
whatsoever to doubt anybody's word have no difficulty memorizing what
the teacher said. Less favored children have a lot less ground to
believe what the teacher says and, since they have no way of
separating on their own what is true from what is false, end up being
"confused".

(3) Even as soft science, Boaler's would not seem to qualify: Bishop,
Clopton and Milgram in

<ftp://math.stanford.edu/pub/papers/milgram/combined-evaluations-version3.pdf

would seem to have a strong point inasmuch as Boaler's experiments
involved "undisclosed" schools: If nobody can look at what I am doing
in class, I can pass all my students and claim I have the ultimate way
of teaching.

(4) Disclosure: I agree 100% with Bishop, Clopton and Milgram' summary
of their Appendix 4:

At the fourth grade level this is a good problem to teach exhaustive
search
and interpretation of data because suitable answers involve small
whole numbers and
can be found quickly by guess and check methods. A question like this
will be seen by
people who know only limited amounts of mathematics as entirely
appropriate since their
tendency is to regard mathematics as LISTS OF DISCONNECTED TOPICS (my
emphasis),
most of which look like combinatoric puzzles. They seem to believe
that teaching students to
handle (elementary) Putnam style challenge problems is training them
in mathematics and
problem solving. Thus, such people see including a question like this
as the keystone
problem in an otherwise un-challenging algebra exam as perfectly
legitimate. However,
people with a larger grasp of the sub ject realize that mathematics is
incremental, and that
solving a problem like this at fourth grade level does not lead to
deeper insights. Yet, a
problem like this with 2,3,4,5 replaced by integers with appropriate
constraints would be a
nice problem in a college level linear algebra course.

Regards
--schremmer