Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 22, 2012 8:51 PM

Doug Kuhlmann

RE: [ap-calculus] limit from Stu Schwartz

NOTE:
and post messages there.
For any polynomial the "end behavior" of the polynomial mirrors that of the leading term. In your example the polynomial behaves like 3x^4 and this goes off to +oo as x->+oo or as x->oo.

I give my kids a heuristic argument (a fancy term for hand waving) that goes like this: When x is a trillion, x^4 is a trillion times bigger than x^3.......and then fast talking and hand waving but the gist is there.

Another argument says lim(x->+/-oo)p(x)/(3x^4)=1 where p(x) is your polynomial. If the ratio is getting close to 1 and the denominator is going to oo than p(x) must also be going to oo.

HTH

Doug
Doug Kühlmann
Math Dept