Topic: growdata and growdata2 - mathworks problem, still ?
Replies: 7   Last Post: Oct 24, 2012 4:24 AM

Steven Lord

Re: growdata and growdata2 - mathworks problem, still ?

"someone" <newsboost@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> This is from 2007:
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/8334
>

> Is it still necessary/advisable/required to do something like "growdata"
> if you want a speed increase and have (very) long increasing arrays ?

It is impossible to answer that question without knowing the specific way
your code is written.

> Or did Mathworks see this problem and fixed the problem by using a clever
> compiler that automatically optimizes its way out of this problem?

In release R2011a there is an entry in the Release Notes that reads:

"This release improves the performance of growing an array in the trailing
dimension if that array has not been preallocated."

> I'm asking, because I have a program and it LOOKS to me, like the problem
> still persists. So I think maybe I should use growdata now... What do you
> think, mr. Steven Lord or others ?

Try to preallocate first. If that doesn't improve the performance, or if you
can't do that for some other reason, send a section of code for which you
believe you'll need to use GROWDATA on to Technical Support so they can
investigate if there's additional improvement the development staff can make
to how arrays are grown in MATLAB.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com