Topic: growdata and growdata2 - mathworks problem, still ?
Replies: 7   Last Post: Oct 24, 2012 4:24 AM

dpb

Re: growdata and growdata2 - mathworks problem, still ?

On 10/23/2012 8:25 AM, someone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is from 2007:
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/8334
>

> Is it still necessary/advisable/required to do something like "growdata"
> if you want a speed increase and have (very) long increasing arrays ?
>
> Or did Mathworks see this problem and fixed the problem by using a
> clever compiler that automatically optimizes its way out of this problem?

My suggestion if you can't figure out how to preallocate is "try it and
see".

Better JIT compilation can fix many things but poor coding practice or
algorithms that require much general rearranging of the source code to
handle memory allocation (and particularly _re_allocation aren't likely
to be solvable that way.