Topic: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Replies: 87   Last Post: Nov 17, 2012 4:34 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
att1.html (6.2 K)

So in other words, you have no intention of teaching children mathematics or computer science. You want to join them in your cause.

Bob Hansen

On Oct 23, 2012, at 11:38 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

> What check box schemas did they use, what was the database like?
>
> We look at US census data at the same time, at the questions. We're not afraid to ask about "race" (what is it?): what is the history of that concept and to what degree does it anticipate the findings of genetic science?
>
> We now know there's no "racial substance" any more than "blue blood" flowing in the veins of wealthy landowners. When two individuals have children, it's not like there's something "racial" is contributed 50-50, as if there were some "race gene". In the old days, they thought some "essence" was getting divided up, like "1/32nd black" was imagined to mean something in physical/genetic terms. But it's just pseudo-scientific nonsense (the Nazis were as deluded as the other white supremacists). Our science museum (OMSI) has an exhibit about that going on.
>
> So in my curriculum, the topic of SQL is a chance to get dark and to really expose students to "man's inhumanity to man". I'm not saying we'll watch all 15 hours of Shoah, but it might be listed as background viewing for extra credit.
>
> The topic of Unicode is when we get happy again (they're connected in that today's SQL engines support the Unicode codecs). Here 'Small World After All' and "I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke" are more apropos. This is when we celebrate the multi-culturalism the Education Yakuza consider a positive. We're happy about our China Town, our Old Town in Portland. Our business with Asia is growing by leaps and bounds, thanks in part to that Intel plant in Ho Chi Minh city.
>
> http://www.intel.com/cd/corporate/education/apac/eng/aaf10/about/hcm/454176.htm
>
> Remember, STEM mathematics has a lot of GPS / GIS in it, is taking us back to Geography / Geodesy big time. With Google Earth, Google Mars, Google Moon, we're really into exploring spherical surfaces with spherical trig, lat / long, whatever hexapent grids (or "global matrix" some call those).
>
> Geography + Geometry is a unifying heuristic. It's a much more worldly math that you'd see in those 1900s textbooks that had been drained of all history, but for a few quaint sidebars maybe.
>
> In the 21st century, it'll be timelines galore. We're not just interested in Descartes for the XYZ coordinate system, we're interested in Descartes as a world line in history. He traveled a lot, ending up in Sweden, a chief counselor to the Queen. My / our students are more likely to know that.
>
> Kirby
>

> http://blip.tv/pycon-us-videos-2009-2010-2011/python-for-teachers-and-teachers-of-teachers-part-001-2008375
> (first 57 minutes of a background lecture, International Room, Hyatt Regency, O'Hare Area, Chicago, 2009) - at around 9 mins is
> where I start talking about the importance of Lore (storytelling)

Date Subject Author
10/22/12
Read Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Haim
10/22/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
kirby urner
10/22/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Paul A. Tanner III
10/22/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Haim
10/22/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Paul A. Tanner III
10/22/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
kirby urner
10/23/12
[...]
10/24/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Paul A. Tanner III
10/24/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
GS Chandy
10/24/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Haim
10/25/12
[...]
10/26/12
[...]
10/27/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
israeliteknight
10/28/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
kirby urner
10/28/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Paul A. Tanner III
10/28/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
kirby urner
10/28/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Paul A. Tanner III
10/29/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
kirby urner
10/29/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Paul A. Tanner III
10/29/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
kirby urner
10/29/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Paul A. Tanner III
10/29/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
kirby urner
10/30/12
[...]
10/31/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/4/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
israeliteknight
11/5/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/5/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Peter Duveen
11/5/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Haim
11/5/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Robert Hansen
11/5/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
israeliteknight
11/5/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
israeliteknight
11/5/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Haim
11/6/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/5/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Salahuddin
11/7/12
[...]
11/8/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
israeliteknight
11/8/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/8/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
israeliteknight
11/8/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/12/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
israeliteknight
11/12/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/12/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
israeliteknight
11/12/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
Paul A. Tanner III
11/12/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
GS Chandy
11/14/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
israeliteknight
11/15/12
Read Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)
GS Chandy
11/17/12