Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 23, 2012 5:31 PM

LnMcmullin@aol.com

RE: [ap-calculus] e

NOTE:
and post messages there.
Calculators and computers are only able to carry a certain number of decimal places (I believe the TI calculators compute with 14 places and round to 12 - something like that). Once past that number the calculator is rounding the (1 +1/x) to 1. Hence the expression looks to the calculator like 1^x. You can see this by calculating (1 + 1/x) for x = 10^12, then 10^13, etc.

It is a "fault" of the technology.

Lin

Lin McMullin
Richardson, TX

My Blog for calculus teachers: teachingcalculus.wordpress.com

I am the moderator of the AP Calculus EDG. I am writing here simply as a member of the EDG. This post is not in any way an "official" announcement from the College Board. When the College Board asks me as the moderator, to share information with you, that e-mail will be clearly marked as being??From the Moderator.??

---