Topic: a question involving Eular's formula
Replies: 1   Last Post: Oct 23, 2012 7:45 PM

Walter Wallis

Re: a question involving Eular's formula

I can't really do subscripts in this e-mail, so for example Ei(i+1)
means E with subscript i,i+1.

Make a new graph by putting the k components in a row -- call them C1,
C2, ... , Ck -- with C1 on the left, C2 second from the left, etc,
and add one new edge E12 from C1 to C2, one E23 from C2 to C3, ... ,
(k-1) in all. Draw each graph without unnecessary edge crossings.
Choose the endpoints of Ei(i+1) so that the endpoint in Ci is on the
right side of Ci and the one in C(i+1) is on the left. The new graph
is connected, has n vertices, e+k-1 edges, and r regions. (If you
draw the edges as I suggested, you don't add any regions. Draw a
sketch to see this.) Then
n - (e+k-1) + r = 2,
giving the result.

WDW