Topic: California Algebra
Replies: 12   Last Post: Oct 26, 2012 1:21 AM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: California Algebra

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
> http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2012/10/24/09textbooks.h32.html?tkn=XUCFDSi5thMEnMdU2sDsZS9raQ8NNGbB%2BNOp&cmp=clp-sb-nctm
>
> California passed a new algebra law. Can you believe that the legislature is involved in algebra?
>
> 1. Every student does not have to take Algebra 1 in 8th grade, they can wait till 9th.
>
> 2. Districts do not have to use state approved text books, they can select their own.
>
> Something that really caught my eye was this...
>
> California has joined the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium, which is developing tests aligned with the standards.
>
> Mr. Honig said the new tests will be flexible to meet different skill levels.
>
> "Everyone will take the regular common-core assessment," he said. "But what it's going to do, Smarter Balanced, it's going to be adaptive, it can go up as much as two grades or down as much as two grades, so they will have a spectrum of algebra [tested]."
>
> What kind of standard is that? A 4 year spread on the test?
>
> We talked about the adaptive testing used by Smarter Balanced before, but this description is horrid.
>
> Bob Hansen

No it is not. What you miss is that it allows for tracking or sorts to
come back, where the smarter students can be directly measured with
respect to how advanced their knowledge and skills are, which means
that if they don't do well on the upside, pressure will be brought to
bear to improve things for them the smarter students.