Topic: Why?
Replies: 52   Last Post: Oct 30, 2012 9:38 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Why?
att1.html (4.5 K)

On Oct 24, 2012, at 2:52 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some of these methods I am talking about are methods that kids that
> don't have troubles in math many times see for themselves. That is,
> many times students who struggle do so to a large degree simply
> because no one pointed out to them what these other students see for
> themselves

I don't recall seeing or having anyone point out to me the arithmetic of fractions using algebra. And if these children are having trouble seeing arithmetic, how are they seeing algebra? Why do you need x's and y's if all you are showing them is that if this is the unknown then multiply this and divide that (fractional arithmetic)? What are you doing with the x's and y's? (a's and b's or whatever letters you are using)

Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
10/23/12
Read Why?