Topic: California Algebra
Replies: 12   Last Post: Oct 26, 2012 1:21 AM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: California Algebra

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 5:23 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2012, at 7:53 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You need to stop obsessing with students who don't meet yout personal
> standards, and stick to the upper parts of the distribution.
>

> My personal standards? The standards I have been using can be best described
> as being sufficient enough for the student to go on and apply what they have
> learned in real situations that necessitate the level of math taken. No
> more. No less. Algebra is a technical subject. Whether it be engineering,
> the application of statistics or the technical side of a mortgage. What I do
> know, and this is by direct observation, if you do not reach that standard,
> then the effort is wasted. The student will never use it, and what little
> was gotten will be forgotten very quickly.

You are still obsessing.

Why don't you tell us what math you would require for high school
graduation, given no vocational high schools? It's time for you to
tell us - all you do is condemn, but you do not tell us what you would
have the math requirements for high school graduation be, given no
vocational schools at the high school level? Would you require a
minimum of Algebra I?

To anticipate beating around the bush: I predict that you never meet
this challenge. And so another challenge: Prove my prediction wrong.