Topic: Why?
Replies: 52   Last Post: Oct 30, 2012 9:38 PM

Louis Talman

Re: Why?
att1.html (1.8 K)

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 2:12 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2012, at 7:55 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> See the links I gave to all those past posts of mine.
>

> I did see the links, that is why we are talking about pretending to teach
> children algebra. My question was, if the student can't see arithmetic, why
> do you think they can see algebra? It appears that you are trying to use a
> rote trick just to get the student through the topic, and all teachers
> probably face this situation with students that struggle.

You've missed half the issue. The other half is this: A teacher can't be
successful at pretending to teach unless students also pretend to learn.

And this phenomenon is precisely the problem with standardized,
multiple-guess tests: They don't distinguish between students who learn and
students who simply pretend to learn.

--Louis A. Talman
Metropolitan State College of Denver

<http://rowdy.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>