Topic: Dear Teacher, Johnny Isn’t Sick. He’s J
ust Boycotting the Test. - NYTimes.com

Replies: 6   Last Post: Oct 25, 2012 10:24 PM

ElizWaite@aol.com

Re: Dear Teacher, Johnny Isn't Sick. He's Just Boycotting the Test. -
NYTimes.com

att1.html (7.6 K)

I taught Applied Math 1, Sequential Course I and Sequential Course II under this semester block system. One big difference between what it sounds like you have and what I had is I had 90 minute blocks PLUS I met with each class for an additional 45 minutes 2 times in a 6 day cycle. It was really a great system in that there was plenty of time to do in depth investigations of topics as well as reteaching when necessary. The students did really really well on the exams. The last year I did it I had an acclerated Course II group in the fall who took the exam in January, and then I had them the following fall on a regular full year schedule in Course III. They did not suffer from not having math spring semester freshman year. In fact, 3 of the 4 students in my class who earned 100 on course III that year came from the semester block the year before.

Of course, those were the acclerated students. The non accelerated students still did well in their course, but I don't know how they did the following year b/c I didn't have them again.

It takes a ton of planning to do a double period. You can't just lecture for 2 periods straight...

I'm not sure I would have liked it as much if I only had 75 minutes a day. We also were 'teamed'. There were four of us on the team (math, English, Global 9, and Biology) and we met once a day. I had half the team in the fall and half in the spring. The students always had math and English one semester, Global and Bio the other semester. There were plenty of advantages to teaming as well.
Another advantage was only having 45-50 students at a time. Much more time to focus on each student, call parents, etc. I'm not sure what schools could afford to run such a system anymore:(

Liz

Elizabeth Waite
AMTNYS Vice-President