Replies: 156   Last Post: Nov 4, 2012 3:01 PM

JRStern

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 22:58:21 +0100, Frederick Williams
<freddywilliams@btinternet.com> wrote:

>JRStern wrote:
>>
>> Are there any such published?
>>
>> I can see in the archives here it's a common topic, and I have my own
>> crackpot theories which certainly overlap a lot of the more popular
>> objections.
>>
>> I don't want to prove or assert or reject any statement about the
>> countability of reals, I just want to consider the validity of the
>> diagonalization argument.
>>
>> Has anybody put that out in a refereed journal or a respectable
>> publisher? Even if it's just a prettier rejection of crank theories,
>> it would seem worthwhile.

>In his lifetime Cantor was opposed by some very competent mathematics:
>Brouwer, K\"onig, Kronecker, Poincar\'e, Weyl.

Yes, and I agree with most of them, only those are
intuitionist/constructivist, and they rejected large parts or all of
Cantor's cardinals, reasoning, and I suppose necessarily reject ZFC.

I want to see if within ZFC, the diagonal argument itself is valid.

I suppose at worst it could be made an optional axiom, or some
statement of principle could be added as an additional axiom to allow
it to be true.

J.

Date Subject Author
JRStern