Topic: Why?
Replies: 52   Last Post: Oct 30, 2012 9:38 PM

kirby urner

Re: Why?
att1.html (1.4 K)

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> I have studied the exams and test results of all of these countries, and
> their curriculums when available. I have found no evidence of teaching
> algebra to elementary kids. If they were teaching algebra to 4th graders as
> you suggest then the 8th grade exams would be off the charts. They owe
> their success to a very simple notion. They take arithmetic in practice
> very seriously. Naturally then, when they take an exam of that is
> essentially arithmetic in practice, they do very well.
>
> Bob Hansen

Exams and test results at the national level will not always show pilot
projects or innovate ones as blips on the radar.

http://ronypony.blogspot.com/2011/02/gattegno-cuisenaire-rods-elementary.html

Case in point: if there's no standardized algebra test for first graders
(I don't think there is), then first graders learning algebra will have no
chance to shine.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
10/23/12