Replies: 156   Last Post: Nov 4, 2012 3:01 PM

Peter Webb

JRStern wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 22:58:21 +0100, Frederick Williams
> <freddywilliams@btinternet.com> wrote:
>

> > JRStern wrote:
> >>
> >> Are there any such published?
> >>
> >> I can see in the archives here it's a common topic, and I have my

> own >> crackpot theories which certainly overlap a lot of the more
> popular >> objections.

> >> I don't want to prove or assert or reject any statement about the
> >> countability of reals, I just want to consider the validity of the
> >> diagonalization argument.
> >>
> >> Has anybody put that out in a refereed journal or a respectable
> >> publisher? Even if it's just a prettier rejection of crank

> theories, >> it would seem worthwhile.
> >
> > In his lifetime Cantor was opposed by some very competent
> > mathematics: Brouwer, K\"onig, Kronecker, Poincar\'e, Weyl.

> Yes, and I agree with most of them, only those are
> intuitionist/constructivist, and they rejected large parts or all of
> Cantor's cardinals, reasoning, and I suppose necessarily reject ZFC.
>
> I want to see if within ZFC, the diagonal argument itself is valid.

Yes. It is easily recast in the language of ZFC. Cantor in fact proved
that Card(Powerset(S)) > Card(S) for all sets S, which is a
generalisation of the proof that c is uncountable.

> I suppose at worst it could be made an optional axiom, or some
> statement of principle could be added as an additional axiom to allow
> it to be true.
>
> J.

Its a theorem in ZF. It doesn't need an axiom.

Date Subject Author
JRStern
Frederick Williams
JRStern