Topic: Why?
Replies: 52   Last Post: Oct 30, 2012 9:38 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: Why?

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 8:17 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
> I have studied the exams and test results of all of these countries, and
> their curriculums when available. I have found no evidence of teaching
> algebra to elementary kids. If they were teaching algebra to 4th graders as
> you suggest

"They" meaning whom? The Chinese? I reported on what the Liping Ma
book says. If you can't handle it, then too bad. Read the book.

I reiterate everything I said in my prior message in this thread

including all the links and citations including what the Liping Ma book says.

The Koreans and Chinese don't care whether you call what they teach
"algebra" or not, when they use these words and teach the way they do.
They teach it anyway.

If their kids are capable of learning what they are taught, then so
are ours capable of learning what these Korean and Chinese kids are
taught.

And this goes for the Russian kids as Wayne said - if they can do it,
then so can we.

Date Subject Author
10/23/12
Read Why?