Replies: 156   Last Post: Nov 4, 2012 3:01 PM

magidin@math.berkeley.edu

On Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:04:41 PM UTC-5, JRStern wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 17:41:59 -0700 (PDT), Arturo Magidin
>
> <magidin@member.ams.org> wrote:
>

> >Huh?
>

> >Sorry, but that statement makes absolute no sense
>
> >whatsoever to me. What exactly was the point you
>
> >were attempting to make?
>

> That I am not arguing with the conclusion that Cantor's Theorem is
>
> true, I am questioning whether the diagonal argument is coherent.
>

> How can this be unclear?

Because I did not simply state the conclusion. I gave you the "diagonal argument". If you are questioning whether it is "coherent", then you should point to whatever point you find incoherent, rather than simply quote and then give a sentence fragment.

The government doesn't like it when I read minds without a warrant, so I try not to do it, you see.

I have you a complete proof of Cantor's Theorem; the diagonal argument is embedded in that theorem. What is it that you find incoherent?

If there is nothing you find incoherent, then why is it that you continue to "question" its coherence?

If you could not even tell that you were presented with the argument in the first place, then perhaps your problems arise much sooner than at Cantor's diagonal argument?

If it is a *particular* presentation of the argument that concerns you, then it is incumbent upon you to specify which presentation it is you find yourself having doubts about, and stop nattering about "peer-review", books, and the like.

--
Arturo Magidin

Date Subject Author
JRStern