Replies: 156   Last Post: Nov 4, 2012 3:01 PM

magidin@math.berkeley.edu

On Monday, October 29, 2012 7:53:53 AM UTC-5, Frederick Williams wrote:
> Arturo Magidin wrote:
>

> > "Yo no estudio para escribir, ni menos para enseñar,
>
> > [...] sino sólo para ver si con estudiar ignoro menos."
>
> > --- _Respuesta a Sor Filotea de la Cruz_
>
> > Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz (Juana de Asbaje y Ramirez)
>

> Excuse my ignorance, but what's that in English?

"I do not study to write, much less to teach; but only to see whether by studying I become less ignorant."

Sor Juana had written a letter discussing theology; the Bishop of Puebla, writing under the pseudonym "Sor Filotea de la Cruz" (pretending to be a nun) wrote a reply in which he criticized Sor Juana for writing and not attending to her womanly duties. In her response, "Reply to Sor Filotea de la Cruz", Sor Juana disclosed some of her personal history (she was a child prodigy and was allowed to attend classes at the University as a young teenager, sponsored by the vicereine). The Bishop had accused her of hubris, saying that she was writing only to show off how learned she was, and that learning was not a suitable way for a woman to spend her time. In the reply, Sor Juana wrote the lines I quote above.

--
Arturo Magidin

Date Subject Author
JRStern